Wednesday 30 July 2014

Dover Sole Fishing, Hythe

Bass Fishing Gone Wrong


Hythe, Kent, UK

 Rocks Atract Fish And Swimmers Alike
Just a short blog for a short session, having had a few hours spare to fish I decided to take the light spinning rod out and try for a Bass, I headed to Hythe, having picked up a score of Lugworm just in case, and glad I did, I had been given advice from the local tackle shop to try around one of the rocky outcrops. The tide was about half way down by the time I arrived, the water was more coloured than I expected, but I carried on with the plan. Using my Snowbee Sea Bass Special and Shimano Stradic 5000 loaded with 20lb Power Pro braid with a 15lb flourocarbon 1 meter long leader I systematically went about using the whole contents of my lure box giving each one at least five casts, from spinners to hard lures and rubbers to spoons, the only excitment I had was nearly falling off the slippery rocks.

New PB Sole, On A Spinning Rod?!?
Due to swimmers deciding that the 2 miles of empty beach wasn't good enough for a swim, just like fish, they headed to the features to bath and scare any bass away from your swim, never caught a swimmer before but I could of. With the loss of emthusiasm I headed for a burger van and had a cold coke. I decided that it was too much a nice evening to go home early, so decided to move along the coast to the next rocky outcrop. And apon arrival, guess what? I drove 1 mile along an empty sea to get to the next mark only to find a fluff chucker (fisherman fishing for mackerel with feathers) casting in and around several swimmers! I have to admit I started to walk back to the car, when I changed my mind and decided to bottom fish as far as out as I could cast with the light spinning rod, just to outrange the swimmers. I used a 3oz lead on a running ledger, and pennel mounted a single Lugworm on size 1/0 hooks. With a almighty cast with the short spinning rod I managed an impressive 35meters. and set the rod down using the exposed rocks as a improvised  rod stand. About 5 minutes later I had my first bite, reeling in to find a 1lb 6oz Dover Sole on the end of the hook, not a Bass but even better eating, some would say. After a few missed bites I conected with a bigger fish that put a big bend in the tiny rod, another Dover Sole and my biggest ever at 1lb 14oz and 44cm long. At this, I decided that was enough fishing for today. I didn't get my target species, but I ended up with 3 Dove Sole, a new PB and enough of the best eating fish I know, to make myself dinner for 3 nights! Funny that's exactly how long the Mrs is away, fending for myself in style! ;)
5* Eating A Fresh Dover Sole!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Catfish Fishing, Roman Lake, Furnace Lakes Fishery

Catfishing  Furnace Lakes Fishery, Slinfold, West Sussex, UK. Roaman Lake At Furnance Lake Fishery With spring in full blossom,...